Thursday, May 18, 2006

Found, Lost and Found (Again)

I can't make head nor tail of this

I had not been able to find my LandRover Zippo lighter for a good while before now, when it caught my eye lying in the gravel beside the back steps inside the carport as I parked up the bicycle

This is not the first time that this has happened. I first came into possession of this treasure when I found it whilst searching for good skimming stones on the little shingle beach near the hut on the back side of Loweswater lake in Cumbria. This is a place that a good number of my readers are familiar with and it's quite possible that some of you where with us that day. It must be a good few years ago, and my memory is terrible. Maybe it was AJ (AKA Thoughtful Scotsman) and family, friends of Mrs VL visiting from Liverpool, Geoffers, Doc M...... If any of you were there and you remember the occasion please leave a comment to refresh my memory

The last(first?) time I remember actively searching for(and not finding) my Zippo was before "The Lads" trip to the Swedish rally in early February. Judging by the state of it it's been out in the weather for a good while. How it could have been lying in a place that is right beside our normal way in and out the house without being noticed for the best part of 4 months I can not imagine. Maybe Mrs VL has an explanation.

I will start a full photographic restoration, a la Haynes manual, as soon as Mrs VL arrives back with the camera. I hope we've got a good quantity of Brasso to hand.

No comments: