Thursday, December 01, 2005

Road Kill

My dear wife never ceases to amase me.

On her way home from a meeting last night, she hit an animal whilst travelling at 90 Km/hr.

Fearing that it was dog or a cat, she turn around to check the situation. The animal was infact a hare and I don't believe her vast veterinary knowledge and experience was required to decide that it was, well and truly, dead.

Did she throw it to the side of the road, out of the way of following vehicles, oh no. Thinking of my desires to eat the fruits of the land, she chucked it in the car, with a nice stew in mind......

So, I was presented with this animal as she arrived home, shortly before 11p.m yesterday evening. A quick trip to the neighbours to ask advise, which consisted of a quick description of the gutting and skinning procedure followed by "If it was me I chuck it away in the forest, especially at this time of night!".

Of course, instead of listning to these words of wisdom, we took ourselves down in the basement, skinned, gutted and cleaned up the carcass, which is now hanging in the frige.

So, tommorrow night our weekend guest, Nikster, if he is up for it, will be enjoying some form of Hare Stew. No doubt The River Cottage Cookbook will be used as a reference.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your spelling is getting worse!

A

Anonymous said...

It's Road Kill Stew for all of you! I highly recommend you check out one of Carl Hiaasen's novels (note the Viking last name, by the way!) wherein one of his main characters, who goes by the name of "Skink," pretty much lives off such fare. Actually, these books are hilariously funny -- you would like them, I'm sure.

Viking Longship said...

And very tasty it was, an adaption of HFW's Jugged Hare recipe.

Basically a stew but cooked in Red wine, port and a little bit of Rum (I didn't have brandy).

When I've finished reading spiral by Koji Suzuki I'll try out the recommendation, Thanks!

Nick said...

Splendid! - I'm assured hare is the most fabulous of game . . .