Thursday, March 22, 2007

Lies, lies and Damn Statistics.

As previously mentioned Mrs VL is once again indulging in some post graduate education. The field of epidemiology involves a significant quantity of statistics, with which Mrs VL was confident I could assist.

To begin with this was all well and good, a quick trip to the loft to fetch one of my old uni text books did the job. Now, a couple of months down the road, Mrs VL has become statistically wiser and wiser whilst I have sat still. Now all the talk of means, null assumptions, standard deviations and so on leave me completely baffled and attempts to get any amount of assistance out of me have a reasonable chance of failure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try a T-Test.

Just stop for a nice hot cup of tea and I am sure everything will be just fine!!

Anonymous said...

Must be the first time those books have been read....

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous: What then about the paired T-Test ?

the other cold one said...

I have had a very similar experience with the newly qualified Psychologist. She had to study statistics, and I was no help whatsoever. We still have on our computer a very good stats programme that does it all for you!!!

Viking Longship said...

Anonymous, sounds like a good plan..

Nik, probably not, I bought that book 2nd hand!!!

Mrs VL, Isn't there a risk of burning oneself (with hot tea?).

TOCO, Aye Mrs VL has some software also, I could help her with that at the beginning as well....

Anonymous said...

I just love these comments. Can't understand half of what is being said, but it certainly challenges the grey matter.

Good luck to Mrs VL with all the study. Safe return to VL after you your two weeks in Finland. We're travelling shortly, but more of that anon.