Wednesday, December 06, 2006

1st Annual Anonymous Artists Christmas Competition


By popular request closing date extended, now 24th 15:00 hours......

Karawonky...

Here it is, the long awaited AAACC. After all the poetic attempts as replies to the Kris Kindle post it has been decided to up the anti and focus our artistic talents through some healthy competition...... Thanks to the other cold one for inventing Karawonky.

Now, I'll get straight to business.

Entry Criteria, This competition is open to...

1: VL and Mrs VL, VL's and Mrs VL's Friends, extended family and family members friends.
2: Blog regulars. i.e those who have commented on this blog on a regular basis.

What's Karawonky

Basically one takes a vocal work by your favourite composer or artist and replaces the words with something suitably suitable.

How to Enter

1: Simply post your work anonymously as a comment to this post stating artist and song as per this example from The Other cold one.

Is this a comment?
No no, it's just a grouch,
somewhere in Finland, where
there is no snow right now.
The days are real short, and nights real long,
so it is cold and grey, night and day
etc. etc. etc.

'Friderick Schnellsilber' - Rhapsodie Boheme.

2: Please specify the version of song if there can be any confusion.

3: There is also a Childrens Catagory for the Under 8's. When entering this start the comment with "Childs Entry".

4: Closing Date for entries is Wednesday 20th December.

5: After the results are announced entrants will be encouraged to step forward and claim their masterpieces, although this is not a requirement.

The Rules

1: All entries are to be roughly based on one of the following themes



  • Present Giving at Christmas
  • Family Christmas Gatherings
  • Spending christmas with the in-laws
  • Spending christmas alone

2: Entries are to be posted anonymously.

3: All work is to be own, original (obviously not the original song) and written specifically for this AAACC.

4: The whole of the selected song is to be Karawonkified.

5: Excessively obscence language is not allowed, harmless smut, general rudeness and humour is encouraged.

6: Only one entry allowed per person.

Performance and Judging

1: All entries will be performed through the collected musical talents of the "Norwegain Woods Irish Christmas Assembly" during the Christmas Period.

2: In a eurovision stylie all entries will be voted for by members of the above. As per Eurovision one will not be able to vote for ones own masterpiece.

3: Results will be announced on the blog shortly after the christmas break, at this time entrants will be invited to come forward and identify themselves.

The winner gets

1: The Satisfaction of Winning

2: A feeling of Artistic well being

3: A little slice of internet fame

and......

4: If, (a big if), we can get technology to work in our favour, a recording of the masterpiece performed by the "Norwegain Woods Irish Christmas Assembly" published on this blog.

so get those old cassettes, the hymn book, your favourite Christmas Carol, your song books and so on out and get writting. Good luck and happy creative thinking.

16 comments:

the other cold one said...

One thing - how will we know whse is whose, and if anybody from the wide wide world posts something....

Viking Longship said...

We don't know/find out whose is whose until afterwards. If anyone from the www posts then it's up to them if they want to come forward or not.

Is this OK?

Oh and, you've broken rule No.2 already!

Viking Longship said...

You've no longer broken rule number 2 as I've removed it....

Anonymous said...

what was rule two???

Viking Longship said...

Only Anonymous post allowed...... Now it's only the entries that should be anonymous

Anonymous said...

Let us all sit down, cos we're going to stuff our faces
Everyones here, and everyones getting drunk
Drunken christmas day forever

We're all eating our prawn cocktails, lettuce and prawns marie rose
A child screams that it's not nice and spits it out
and that's another episode

Let us all sit down, cos we're going to stuff our faces
Everyones here, and everyones getting drunk
Drunken christmas day forever

The birds just right soft tender meat, big sis excelled herself again
A toast, the family on this joyous occasion
Everyones here, that is bar one

Let us all sit down, cos we're going to stuff our faces
Everyones here, and everyones getting drunk
Drunken christmas day forever

Mums drunk enough it's clear to see, discretly fills her glass once more
Fits of giggles as the wine continues to flow
It's just as well it's just today

Let us all sit down, cos we're going to stuff our faces
Everyones here, and everyones getting drunk
Drunken christmas day forever

Drunken christmas day forever

Drunken christmas day forever


The Beatles, Strawberry fields for ever.

Anonymous said...

Dam you...I wanted to use a beatles song....

Anonymous said...

The beastles wrote plenty of songs I believe....

Anonymous said...

Wow! Talk about a strong start, what are we going to do now?!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous I.

Very good song, well done!

Dear anonymous 2.

Beastles songs are best because we'll all know the tunes so go ahead and do it!

Anonymous said...

One quick request, can everyone say which voice they prefer to sing, in case anyone wishes to arrange parts.

Anonymous said...

I reckon we'll have 4 male and 3 female voices - write in a reasonable register (ie Baritone A - D, Sop D - F) and we'll manage...

Also, if a certain northerly orientated family member has time, he could work wonders with the miracle that is Sibelius

Anonymous said...

To be with all our fam’ly is a wonderful thing,
When we all join at Christmas, so to eat, drink and sing.
Kris kindle, karawonky, these are just so much fun,
that they started to happen, e’en before we’d begun.

Our nearest, and our dearest, they are all here today,
But we have in mind always, those who are far away,
May they enjoy their Christmas, just as much as we here,
though it’s cold, dark and wintry, may they be of good cheer.

In Beeston we are gathered, generations times three,
And for all far and near us, it will be plain to see,
That this bright happy Christmas, though the time passes fast,
Will stay long in our memories, just as much as the last.



'Away in a Manger'
Cradle song - Kirkpatrick is the tune, but the author prefers the darker tones of Normandy.

Anonymous said...

Andrew bids us write a-a little song,
All to do with Christmas, even if its wrong,
I sat down and tried it , try as I might,
Whatever I wrote out i couldn't get it right.


The deadlines approaching, coming very fast.
If I cannot do it the deadline will pass.
Oh dear, I'm desperate. See how i sweat.
I need lots of help now, maybe from a vet.


Others in the family seem to do it well.
Why, oh why the log jam? I've nothing to tell.
Can I get a song done? No, it won't come.
Please will you excuse me and accept this one?


'Jesus bids us shine' with apologies to Susan Warner.

Anonymous said...

Not quite a christmas theme, but all about our family:



We like our old cars a lot, once they were new but now they’re not.
They come in all shapes and sizes, none of which would win prizes.

I’m the owner of a traveller, woodworm too, but I don’t care,
It carts around my harpsichord, I can just close the back doors.
It’s restored from wall to wall, not sure it’s original.
Drove it back from Wales one day, just first and fourth, all the way!

We once had a marina, dirty green, it caused a stir,
It was always breaking down, engine, ‘box, it made me frown.
Now we have a red rover….

I would like to own a car, I’ve saved up quite a bit so far,
Tax, insurance and the fuel, oh! I must be such a fool. Ha ha ha!

I have got a morris too, in Dark Plum, it’s quite a hue.
I don’t really drive it much, it’s more like a pet as such.

My spitfire is my pride and joy, I treat it like a cherished toy,
now it sees the light of day, is it finished? There’s no way!
I also have a landrover, safari and diesel power,
I drove it right up to Norway, there we now intend to stay.

I bought a mini for a song, it never really did go wrong,
Later on, I sold it back, for profit, that I did not lack!

Mine’s a big and grey tractor, hay goes in the back loader,
It’s not quite a car, I know, but let’s just all pretend it’s so!


'I like driving in my car'
Madness

Can you work out who's who???

Anonymous said...

Chorus:
Last christmas
You invaded our house
But the very next day you all went away
This year
You leave me in tears
You've taken my one that's special
(repeat)

With one dog and five cats
Out in the forest
You left me on my own
Tell me fellows
Have you all forgot me ?
Well
It's been a year
It doesn't surprise me
(whisper: Happy christmas)
I sorted all the presents
Sent it with my one that's very special
Now I know what a fool I've been
To choose a job like this
That never leaves me alone

Chorus x2

A cold room
Hungry cat eyes
I'm feeding them
But they still spy
My God they all need
Someone to rely on
Me?
I guess I'll scoop the litter tray once more

A voice left on Skype with the joy in his heart
A man with his mother but you tore me apart
(ooh-ooh)
Now I'm left here alone and I could be again

Chorus x2

A voice left on Skype with the joy in his heart
A man with his mother but you tore me apart
Maybe next year we'll all be back here
All be with my one that's special


Original song: Last Christmas by Wham. For a reminder of the melody and harmonies follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0xefo6t9c&NR

Note: contents not to be taken personally. Do not shed any tears !