Thursday, October 05, 2006

Light in the Darkness

Monday night, as I had borrowed a chain saw the day before, I continued working on the eternal wood pile, with which a number of you are acquainted.

I had hoped to chop up the trailer load that I had dumped by the saw, the trailer load I had in the trailer and load the trailer one more time before it got dark. This proved a little optimisitic in the 2 hours of daylight that were left.

Not detered by the darkness I backed the tractor and trailer up to the saw and continue to work away with the rear spot lights on full blast and I also rigged up a couple of 500 Watt work lights for good measure.

Now, it can be eerie out here surrounded by trees and little else. The addittion of nearly 2000 Watts of lights only made matters worse. The darkness behind the lights was an impeniterable blackness and between the rumble of the tractor engine, the scream of the saw and ear muffs, wild horses could have been approach at full gallop and I would have been none the wiser.

Focusing on my work prevented my mind running wild with chilling fantasies. Matters were not helped by the sudden appearence of a brilliant light through the trees in the distance lightning up the surrounding area nearly as brilliantly as my own lighting arrangement. I had to walk away from my work area to cofirm that after such a dull evening, the moon could be so unbelievably brilliant, just in case they had finally come to get me.......

Oh, btw, the sharpened saw is a revalation, not a single trip of the thermal overload and straight through those extra tough knots. Many thanks to JN for his paitience with a metal file.

1 comment:

the other cold one said...

Here's some music while you work:

A- B- G- G-(8ve down) D-

Skiing in Finnish woods in winter has given me the same experiences!