Thursday, February 28, 2008

Saw Modification - Part 1

Many of our visitors have become well acquainted with our saw. The saw sharpner, whilst especially well acquainted with it, is not the only one who has suggested that it should be covered or even better moved inside when it's not in use.



For a long time now, it's been my plan to modify it, adding a frame which can attached to the three point lift on (one of!) the tractors. By doing so will not only allow me to put it away when it's not in use but also to locate it in different positions dependant on where the wood I'm chopping is or where I'm stacking it. All part of my cycle time reduction efforts.

London Son and I had such a productive weekend that we were able to turn our attention to this project on Monday. A quick head scratching session with a tape measure and a look at the materials available in the barn produced an outline sketch. We made a trip to the local farm shop for the only purchase of the project, the two pins required to connect to the hydraulic arms (which as you will notice cater for both sizes, the DB being smaller). Then a quick consultation with the neighbour produced 4 more bits of steel, amazingly complete with ready holes that were more or less the correct diameter. All this and we had a raw materials we needed as below.



After a couple of hours with the angle grinders and welder, we had this, the first part of the frame completed.



Pretty pleased with the welding if I say so myself, I'll be dissapointed if this doesn't hold!



I was going to weld the frame to the saw in situ but after some thought, I realised that it'll be a lot easier on the flat concrete in the garage. So, the next step of the project is to move the saw. As you already are aware, I have just the tool for the job!

No comments: