Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Pork, Unprocessed and in bulk.

Yes, another milestone in our quest for true small-holder status.

I realise that some of you may find the title as a slightly unacceptable or inhumane way to describe our latest two additions but that is exactly what they are. More on that later.

Saturday was spent building a completely over-engineered "movable" electric fence in preparation for the new arrivals due on Sunday. Unfortunately the electric fence energizer I had ordered from Ireland had obviously suffered a little more than just superficial damage in transport and failed to operate. I rang the manufacturer this Monday morning and they were very apologetic and put a new one in the post straight away. So assuming that the new one arrives in good time and works I may get sing there praises.

So, in the absence of a functioning electric fence, Sunday morning was spent constructing a pen inside the barn. Built using pallets and planks of wood. It was nice to have all my pallets in one place, again thanks to my parents tidying efforts during their recent "holiday"!!!

So 5p.m. on Sunday we duly "collected", with a lot of help from someone who knew what there doing, our chosen 2 from the farm next door. These had been carefully selected during a previous visit. Mrs Viking chose a 28Kg boy (because it had a retained testicle and offered a veterinary challenge for her (pigs are not castrated in the UK so this was a new thing)), and I chose a 22Kg girl (because it was the first of the bunch to come to me). Both are now around 9 weeks old.

As it turns out. Having them inside for a short while has given time for observed recovery after the boy had the Op (+ch anag.), the opportunity to worm and vaccinate before infecting our clean virgin land with any parasites and the opportunity to get a little close contact before they move on to pastures green.

Anyhow, back to the title. Pigs intelligent, friendly and amusing nature makes it all the more important to follow Mr Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall advice in the bible according to Hugh. . Roughly that is that one must never have it to far in the back of your mind that this is meat in production and not a couple of pets. Sure they will be treated with the same respect and care, given the same amount of attention to there welfare and needs and looked after as any animal should be, but they are going to slaughter and will be processed to end up as what I hope will be many excellent culinary creations. Difficult as it is, that is how it is. So, no names and a conscious effort not to label them with personalities. It's going to be difficult this first time but it will happen.

To re-enforce this in my head I have during the past evenings been referring to my library of cook books (especially the one named above) and getting some ideas what I will be doing with the meat. Parma ham, dry cured bacon, black pudding (if I'm really feeling brave), all manner of sausages, ribs, chops, maybe a bit of smoked bacon, chorizo..........

Anyhow, more pig stories to come, with photos once they are outside no doubt.

9 comments:

Nick said...

Yumm . . dry-cured bacon. Can I put in an order now?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like that bbq is required now then....

Viking Longship said...

In response to

Nick

Get yourself here at the right time and I will cook you one of my blood thickning full english breakfasts, only this time with home produced bacon, black pudding and maybe even an attempt at Cumberland sausage...

In fact Mr Hugh Fearlessly eats-it-all suggests that processing a couple of pigs is not a job to take on alone. What are you all up to mid November, maybe time for a repeat of the house warming party.....

and

Nik

Ah yes, the BBQ(s?!?!), another project...... Think that slots in somewhere after the garage tidy and modification and before the sauna.......

Anonymous said...

If you were to follow all of Mr Hugh Fearlessly eats-it-all's advice then you would have eaten what you already removed from the pig.

Viking Longship said...

I did suggest that, unfortunately local anesthetic had already been administered so it would have meant a numb mouth for the trouble.

Nick said...

Surely a numb mouth would be the ideal conditions for such a bonne bouche? Andy - the last time you threatened to cook me a full English was after the Cockermouth beer festival, when Andrew Biswell & I had to take control of the process at about 11.00am & then had time to climb Blencathra & repair to the Horse & Farrier before you greeted the day at c 8.30pm. So yes, November sounds like a very good idea . . . .

Lars said...

Hey, just surfing the blogs and came upon yours. I'll have to come back and read more, but I stopped because my heritage is Norwegian. I've, in fact, been to Norway twice. Once to see relatives and once on band tour.

Just saying hi for the moment though!

Anonymous said...

Hey, pigs already here. That's will keep you even more busy! Where are photos? Please make a photo report about the pigs journey to the pastures green.

You will enjoy all these culinary creations from the pork!

Viking Longship said...

Nick

Ahh, the beer festival, you really would have thought I had learnt my lesson........ That cooked breakfast did involve Haggis too, if I remember, you'll have to wait another year before I have the neccessary ingredients for that delight....

Lars,

Your more Norwegian than me then... I'm just married to one, couldn't think of a nicer place to be though. Please keep visiting, I am going to try to bring some of the Norway outside of our place into the blog soon.

Dalius,

Digital camera will be out and you can expect another porcine essay in due course.