Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Baby Room Part 2 - Cutting to length

Saturday morning dissapeared to an extended visit to the local builders shop. This was confounded by being relatively new to the whole wooden house thing and getting, I think it's fair to say, poor guidance from the sales assistant.

Finally we settled on ready painted white ceiling panelling, which although it was on offer for Friday only, I perseuded them that since I took monday of it was only Friday so we got this at the offer price. Then we went for unpainted panels (Saturdays offer!) that are profiled to look like panelling for two of the walls and fibre boards, which will be wall papered over for the other two walls.

I ran down in the ever faithfull landrover to fetch this lot, taking my chance with the changable weather, as the 120cm wide fibre boards had to go on the roof.

On Sunday afternoon, after moving the saw, but before I set to work on it (so this post is in sequence), I unloaded this lot and took the oppurtunity to cut it all to the correct length before stacking it up in the house.



Many thanks to partner in crime (who now has his own blog, www.elkego.blogspot.com, more on that later) for lending me one of his "Rettholt"s, the long aluminium guide, invaluable when doing long cuts with the circular saw. If any of you can tell me what a rettholt is in English I would be most appreciative!



So with it all cut to length, it's now stacked up down stairs in the warm, where it is advised to leave it for a few days before it's all put in place. A nice man will be lending me his compressor and nail gun, maybe even from tommorrow evening. Ceilings first thing to go up, who knows, maybe it's done and dusted by this time tomorrow!



Floor, coving, skirting and trim around the door and window will be another visit to the builders suppliers.

No comments: