Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Saw Modifications Part 3 - Over Engineering

The pathetic 10 Amp fuse which all lights and sockets in the garage are currently connected to isn't man enough for the welder on full power so I had to place the saw within extension lead reach of the Sockets in the car port.



Positioning and welding on the already produced frame for the bottom hydraulic arms went easily and quickly.



The original "sketches" drawn up with London Son had a very simple rising vertical piece from the middle of this frame for the top arm. Having slept on this for a few nights and seen that most other equipment has a triangle arrangement I was beginning to have doubts. When I measured and found out that I had enough steel I changed my plans. After a few hours of semiconsious thought during the nights leading up to the weekend, the construction details were clear in my head.



One problem with building from a design which is only in my head and not thought through on paper is that angles are rarely correct first time. It took me a coulple of cuts to get this triangle to sit squarely in the correct position (I had to allow room for the belt gaurd (taken off in all but the first photo). No major problems, but with the thickness of the steel I did get through a few 9" cutting discs on my big angle grinder.



More cutting and many Km's of welding wire later and it was starting to look the business. I did more or less complete the job that evening and the saw is now in the top barn attached to the Zetor, but as it was too dark to take pictures at that time you'll have to wait for Part 4 for the final photo's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you finishing it with a nice paint job, to keep it all clean and tidy for those of us who may use it in the future?

Viking Longship said...

Yes, sometime errrr soon, it'll be getting cleaned, de-rusted and painted. Probably the same red as the cleaver.

That'll be part 5 of the Saw Mods Blog