Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bathroom Mods Part 3 - Solving the height issue

The offending article,





which connects the back of the shower unit to the post which supports the glass. This piece takes the height of the unit over the 215cm available and as well as adding structure, houses the main shower head, and the hose that connects to the sideways sprays in the post.

Since the top of the post is just under 215cm from the floor my cunning plan was to do away with the monstousity above and replace it's function with the ceiling.

First I had to re-route the hose to the side sprays. I acheived this by drilling a hole in the middle of the bottom post mount.


Then another behind the shower unit so that I could route the hose down, under and up again. Luckily it was just long enough so I didn't have to extend it.

My first attempt was to screw the top post mount directly to the ceiling and attempt to jack the adjustable feet up to fit the post into it. I found that I was at the end of the thread on the feet so I needed to lower the mount. Which I did as shown below, to make, what Mrs VL reckons is a Dorian pillar....

This worked a treat and I managed to get the bath adjusted level, made a bracket to fix it to the wall and seal between the unit and the wall with some silicon.

The final part of the equation was the solution for the main shower head, a bit of chrome pipe and a couple of elbows and le-voila, job done!

The wooden bit will get a coat of white gloss when as soon as I paint something white in the baby room!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm missing something here. What happens to waste water?

Wondering if white paint will be sufficient on the wooden bit. Can you coat in a floor varnish or replace with marine ply? It might be more stable.

Understand you have been having photo publishing problems - but any chance of a final photo or two to show the complete bath and shower?

Viking Longship said...

Tss,

Waste water was easy, I simply changed the cover for the floor drain for one with a cut out for the waste pipe from the bath(which is flexible). Ah, the beauty of wet rooms.

Regarding the wooden bit, a couple of coats of gloss will have to do. I'm sure it'll be enough to last until we re-do the bathroom properly in a few years time.

As for photo's, I will do my best. not easy to get a decent photo of the complete unit when the rooms so small...

Oh, btw, it's exactly 191cm from the floor of the bath to the shower head, if that's not enough then you'll be showering with the cat!!!!